OpenAI's mission is to ensure that artificial general intelligence (AGI)—by which we mean highly autonomous systems that outperform humans at most economically valuable work—benefits all of humanity. We will attempt to directly build safe and beneficial AGI, but will also consider our mission fulfilled if our work aids others to achieve this outcome.
OpenAI is governed by the board of OpenAI Nonprofit, which consists of OpenAI LP employees Greg Brockman (Chairman & CTO), Ilya Sutskever (Chief Scientist), and Sam Altman (CEO), and non-employees Adam D’Angelo, Holden Karnofsky, Reid Hoffman, Sue Yoon, and Tasha McCauley.
Our investors include Microsoft, Reid Hoffman’s charitable foundation, and Khosla Ventures. We feel lucky to have mission-aligned, impact-focused, helpful investors!
- OpenAI is launched
- OpenAI Gym is released
- OpenAI testifies at the first US congressional hearing on AI
- Proximal Policy Optimization released
- Dota 1v1 bot beats top professionals
- Malicious uses of AI report released
- OpenAI testifies at US Congress Artificial Intelligence Hearing III
- OpenAI Charter released
- OpenAI testifies at the first US congressional hearing on AGI
- Robot hand which manipulates physical objects with unprecedented dexterity
- OpenAI Five defeats top 99.95th percentile Dota players
- GPT-2 generates text of unprecedented coherence
- OpenAI LP announced
- OpenAI Five is the first AI to beat the world champions in an esports game
- Partnership with Microsoft announced